Monday, March 25, 2013

"Come on, give us a smile"



"I didn't want my picture taken because I was going to cry. I didn't know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely the tears would fly out of my eyes and the sobs would fly out of my throat and I'd cry for a week. I could feel the tears brimming and sloshing in me like water in a glass that is unteady and too full."

***
"I crawled back into bed and pulled the sheet over my head. But even that didn't shut out the light, so I buried my head under the darkness of the pillow and pretended it was night. I couldn't see the point of getting up."

***
"Lately I had considered going into the Catholic Church myself. I knew that Catholics thought killing yourself was an awlful sin. But perhaps, if this was so, they might have a good way to persuade me out of it."

***
"A bad dream.
To the person in the bell jar, blank and stopped as a dead baby, the world itself is a bad dream." 


quotes from The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath

No comments:

Post a Comment